Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Strung Together

Light Green New Volkswagen Beetle from the Side
Light Green Beetle from the side.  Damaged plastic fender is repaired with string.
Close up of damaged fender of VW Beetle repaired with stringPictures 19 January 2008
When I had anything to do with cars myself, I was definitely from the paper clip and chewing gum school of auto maintenance. In my family the general trend was to replace a vehicle once a decade whether it needed it or not. The first vehicle I drove was one of the first SUV's. It was Dodge Ramcharger. In reality it was nothing but a pickup whose cab extended over the pic-up bed. When it started it emitted a cloud of oily blue smoke that sent the neighborhood children running as if the Keiser had just lobbed a canister of mustard gass into their foxhool. The owner of this car seemes to have dealt with a design flaw with abit of ingenuity. The front fender appears to be some sort of plastic. As I have often scraped the front section of the car when driving I am surprised this damage is more prevelant than it is. I firmly believe that these types of scars are what gives a car charcter. Now, that it is held togehter with strink it can have a plucky name like "Buster" which happens to be Charlie's middle name. So mysterious owner of the tough Bug Charlie would be honored to lend you one of his names.




No comments: